The Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering Department at Mizzou is turning 60, and they’re throwing quite the celebration on Homecoming Weekend!
From Oct. 18 to 20, the IMSE Department invites alumni, students, and current and former faculty to join together at a series of fantastic events.
- IMSE Welcome Reception (Stotler Lounge, Memorial Union) —Thursday, Oct. 18 from 4 to 6 p.m. — includes cash bar and light hors d’oeuvres
- Tours of the College’s new facilities — Friday, Oct. 19 (various times)
- IMSE 10th Anniversary Hall of Fame Inductee Luncheon (Stotler Lounge, Memorial Union) – Friday, Oct. 19, Noon
- IMSE 60th Anniversary Banquet (Stotler Lounge, Memorial Union) — Friday, Oct. 19, 5:30 p.m.
- IMSE Hall of Fame Homecoming Float in Parade (Downtown Columbia) — Saturday, Oct. 20 (TBA)
- IMSE Tailgate/BBQ (Lafferre Hall Courtyard) — Saturday, Oct. 20 (three hours before Kickoff)
- Football Tickets for the Homecoming Game — must be in increments of 2 – $40/ticket – Saturday, Oct. 20 (Kickoff TBA)
It’s a chance to celebrate the importance of IMSE to all of the department’s stakeholders, alumna Christine Pierson said.
“I encourage any young person to pursue a degree in engineering. The basis for the profession – IMSE included – is centered around ‘problem solving,’” she said. “The world needs more problem solvers. The IMSE program offers such a wide variety of tools and techniques to learn and apply across any business model. Spanning from healthcare to manufacturing to business intelligence. Supporting and ensuring the sustainability of the program is a fulfilling cause.”
Pierson is a 1985 IMSE alumna, and she and alumnus Don Flora and IMSE Department Chair Luis Occeña are chairing the event’s planning committee. As expected, they are excited for what the weekend has in store.
“I am excited about the 60th reunion,” Flora said. “It gives all of us the opportunity to look back and remember old friends and good times while getting a great engineering education. The 60th reunion allows us to take the time to marvel about the changes in education and the unexpected opportunities our IMSE degrees have afforded us. I cannot wait for the discussions.”
“We encourage our alumni to contact their classmates and use this as an opportunity to reconnect”, added Occeña.
Pierson laude the efforts of IMSE faculty, staff and alumni in the planning and creation of the 60th anniversary celebration.
“Mostly a lot of dedication and hard by the faculty and staff of the IMSE Department and the University!” she explained. “We supported their efforts by organizing a group of alumni (members of the Hall of Fame) to provide ideas for the agenda and work through the logistics. We also included feedback from a student panel and a survey to ensure we have covered interests from all stakeholders.”