Every year your science class teacher would probably ask you to build something out of the principles being imparted in class. So your school comes up with an annual science project. The objective of science projects is to be able to clearly display the principles of a particular branch in this course. So you came up with an idea to build hovercraft models using the applications of physics.
Physics is one the major branches of science that when expanded reveals countless applications. From engineering to simple daily occurrences, this is one of the favorite discussions in a science class. The hovercraft, although not commonly used in urban transportation means, is a perfect example. And so you’re off to a good start.
What you need is to know the materials you could use. Understanding how to build hovercraft vehicles is the same with any vessel of this type. To come up with one for your project is simply improvising the materials and bringing the applied science to its miniature version. As mentioned, the objective is to show the principles.
Here are the basic things you will need:
1. Platform – You can use a wooden disk about the size of a manhole cover. You want a science project that is portable and easy to carry. So keep the size handy. This is probably the biggest in your hovercraft project.
2. Leaf blower or vacuum cleaner – You will use this to supply air flow into your platform. You may use any other gadget as long as you can put the air flow in reverse but this is the easiest to find. Your build hovercraft model must follow the air cushion system of the actual hovercraft.
3. Bendable plastic sheet – This will act as your craft’s improvised skirt. The skirt is supposed to trap air below your platform. When doing so, it builds pressure and thus creates a cushion of air. Because of the plastic sheet’s elastic properties, it will only allow limited air to disperse out of its contained space.
4. Fasteners – Use fasteners such as bolts and nuts to fasten all these materials together.
5. A detailed illustration of your science project hovercraft – To do this, you need to check on other hovercraft kits. Learn the principles. The components should be similar to the materials you have. For example, the fanning system in actual hovercrafts is represented by your leaf blower. The hovercraft hull is you platform disk and so on.
All these things above you will need for the project. Your hovercraft project should be able to carry a real person. Of course you can’t guarantee it could carry anyone who is heavier than you. Use your weight as a basis. That is why the platform is suggested to be the size of a manhole cover for this purpose. Last but not least, remember to always pay attention to you science teacher in class.